Prince William and Kate Middleton honored grandmother Queen Elizabeth II on the occasion of her 96th birthday. “Wishing Her Majesty The Queen a very happy 96th birthday today!” the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge wrote. “An inspiration to so many across the UK, the Commonwealth and the world, it’s particularly special to be celebrating in this #PlatinumJubilee year”.
They shared this special tribute at Twitter, along with two throwback photos of the Queen. In one of the two pictures, Queen is in deep conversation with the Duchess and Duke of Cambridge. Likewise, in other, she and her late husband, Prince Philip surrounded by several of their great-grandchildren. The photo was taken in 2018 when Prince Louis was just a few months old.
Earlier it was informed that Queen Elizabeth battled COVID-19. But recovered and has been present at several public events. In February, she also reached her Platinum Jubilee, marking the 70th anniversary of her accession to the throne. From Thursday June 2 until Sunday June 5, the United Kingdom will celebrate this milestone.
Earlier this month, on April 14, the Queen spent some quality time with her grandson, Prince Harry, who paid her a visit with his wife, Meghan Markle. It was the first time the two had visited with the Queen together in more than two years. At the beginning of 2020, Harry and Meghan announced their decision to step away from royal duties and live a more private life across the pond. They now reside in California with their two children, Archie, 2, and Lilibet, 10 months.
Queen Elizabeth II: 1950 – 1990 Major Events Timeline
Queen Elizabeth II has selflessly served the public and continues to do so until now. Here is a brief timeline of the most important royal events, tours, controversies, and initiatives that Queen Elizabeth II has been involved in:
- 1953: Queen Elizabeth II and husband Prince Philip embarked on a seven-months long world tour. During this tour, the couple visited many head of states and discussed a lot of topics She is the most widely travelled head of state in history.
- 1956: Britain and France encounter a failed attempt of trying to invade Egypt and capture the Suez Canal. She was against this invasion, as per sources inside the Royal ministries.
- 1957: Queen Elizabeth visits the United Nations General Assembly and speaks on behalf of the Commonwealth.
- 1961: Queen Elizabeth undertakes tour to India, Pakistan, Nepal, Iran, and Cyprus.
- 1977: Silver Jubilee of her accession to the throne of the United Kingdom.
- 1981: Six shots were fired at the Queen in an attempt to assassinate her.
1991 – 2021 Major Events Timeline
- 1991: Queen Elizabeth II becomes the first ever Monarch to address a joint meeting of the United States Congress
- 1997: Visit to India at the famous Jallianwala Bagh massacre spot where protesters gathered and yelled “Killer Queen, go back”
- 2002: Golden Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth’s rise to throne.
- 2012: Queen Elizabeth completes 60 years on the throne, aka Diamond Jubilee.
- 2018: Queen Elizabeth undergoes a cataract surgery
- 2019: The Queen decides to give up driving on public roads as a result of a car crash involving her husband two months prior
- 2020: As the coronavirus pandemic wreaked havoc around the world, she moved to Windsor Castle and quarantined there as a precaution.
- 2021: Queen Elizabeth left widowed as Prince Philip died on 9 April
- 2021: Awarded the George Cross to “recognise all NHS staff, past and present, across all disciplines and all four nations”.