One day after posting a photo of her gunshot wound on Instagram, Megan Thee Stallion returned with a fiery Instagram Live to publicly reveal for the first time that it was rapper Tory Lanez who shot her in the foot.
The Hollywood Hills Incident
If you recall, Megan, Lanez, his bodyguard, and Megan’s close friend Kelsey Nicole had attended a party at Kylie Jenner’s Hollywood home on July 12. The four were pulled over by police after a report of gunfire outside a second residence.
While initial reports said Megan had cut her feet on broken glass inside the car, she later claimed she was shot. It’s been a little over a month since Megan broke her silence on what occurred that morning she was shot in the foot. On July 13, Lanez was arrested on a gun charge for possessing a concealed firearm. While she didn’t reveal any names involved in the incident, many speculated the gunman to be Lanez, whom she was in a vehicle with at the time.
“I’m incredibly grateful to be alive”
Later that week, Megan publicly revealed for the first time that she had been shot. She has slowly revealed more in several social media posts since it happened. Usually in response to what she said were false stories spreading.
“I’m incredibly grateful to be alive and that I’m expected to make a full recovery, but it was important for me to clarify the details about this traumatic experience,” she wrote in a note posted to her Instagram days later. “I’m currently focused on my recovery, so I can return back to my life and back to making music as soon as possible.”
When Megan Reached Her Breaking Point
The singer consistently declined to name Tory, whose real name is Daystar Peterson, until Thursday night, when she tweeted, “Lie one more time and ima quit sparing you.”
The tweet was presumably in response to sources telling the LA Times that Megan “was displaying an injury at the scene consistent with her being struck by shattered glass.”
“Yes … Tory shot me”
Frustrated with the alleged false reports, Megan reached her breaking point. The rapper took to her Instagram Live to finally clear the air, and confirmed that it was Lanez who pulled the trigger.
“Yes … Tory shot me. You shot me, and you got your publicist and your people going to these blogs lying and s—. Stop lying,” she said during Instagram Live. “Why lie? I don’t understand. I tried to keep the situation off the internet, but you’re dragging it.”
“You shot me! I didn’t get cut by no glass”
According to the rapper, there were four people in the car with her, including her friend, Lanez, and Lanez’s bodyguard. All four passengers were in the middle of a heated argument when Megan, who was in the front seat, decided to leave the car. Lanez, who she says was in the backseat, started shooting at her. The Houston rapper even denied rumors that she had physically assaulted Lanez prior to getting wounded, and claimed their argument had nothing to do with Lanez’s alleged interest in Kylie Jenner.
“I never hit you. M************ were like, ‘Oh she’s mad ’cause he’s trying to f*** with Kylie Jenner.’ No I wasn’t,” she continued. “You shot me! I didn’t get cut by no glass,” she said.
Why Meg initially denied identifying Lanez: “I didn’t want to die”
Meg then explained why she initially didn’t identify Lanez as the shooter once police arrived.
“The police come, I’m scared. All this shit going on with the police?” Megan explained saying she chose not to tell the police what really happened, out of fear of them escalating the situation further. Especially given the current climate of incessant police violence against Black people.
“I didn’t tell the police immediately what happened right there because I didn’t want to die,” she added, responding to those who believed she lied about her foot injuries.
Meg also pointed out that the responding officers were very aggressive. “You think I’m bout to tell the police that we, n***as, us black people, got a gun in the car? You want me to tell the law we got a gun in the car so they can shoot all of us up?”
“It was super scary, it was just the worst experience of my life”
In her previous statements, Megan has discussed how horrifying it was to get surgery for two gunshot wounds. “I was shot in both of my feet, and I had to get surgery to get the shit taken out, get the bullets taken out, and it was super scary,” she said in a statement last month. She added: “It was super scary, it was just the worst experience of my life, and it’s not funny. It’s nothing to joke about and it’s nothing for y’all to go and be making fake stories about. I didn’t put my hands on nobody. I didn’t deserve to get shot.”
On Wednesday, the “Savage” singer shared two since-deleted photos on Instagram of her wounds.
“Lol what I have learned abt majority of the people on social media is y’all like to hear bad news before good news, a lie spreads quicker than the truth, and y’all really be believing the s— YALL make up,” she wrote in a caption. Accompanying a photo of a bloody wound on her foot and of a doctor tending to her injury in a hospital bed.
Lanez, who was arrested on July 13 and charged with carrying a concealed firearm in a vehicle, posted his $35,000 bail and was released later that day. He is scheduled to appear in court in October.