This year’s download festival has been canceled due to the Covid-19 epidemic, organizers have confirmed.
The rock and metal event was scheduled to take place from June 4 to 6, which was highlighted by Kiss, Biffy Clyro and System of a Down.
What About The Ticket Holders?
Festival officials have said it is “impossible” to make the event a reality.
Ticket holders have been told that they can either reserve their seats next year or get a refund.
The event was supposed to start a few weeks before the government date of June 21 to remove all legal restrictions on social distancing.
Last year the festival was suspended due to the pandemic, in what would be the 40th anniversary of its founding incarnation, Monsters of Rock.
Instead, fans were encouraged to pitch their tents in the gardens and share photos while watching chats and historical discussions.
In a statement, the organizers said the decision to cancel this year’s event came “after the announcement of a government map and despite surprising efforts by the NHS to put out a vaccine”.
They said the festival “will return stronger than ever” in 2022, with Biffy Clyro, Iron Maiden and Kiss already confirmed as headliners.
Iron Maiden manager Bruce Dickinson said the team was thrilled to be invited to next year’s event.
“Like everyone, we were all hugely disappointed when the global pandemic forced the cancellation of Download 2020 which would have been Maiden’s seventh time headlining here,” he said.
“As most people know, this festival is hallowed ground for us and our fans’ vocal support and enthusiasm is always phenomenal and much appreciated.
“We can’t wait to see everyone again, and are determined to make the show one hell of a party and the greatest homecoming ever.”
Californian trio Cemetery Sun also tweeted their disappointment at the cancellation.
The effects of the coronavirus pandemic continue to be felt throughout the live music industry.
The Association of Independent Festivals (AIF) has warned that private festivals could be forced to cancel if they do not receive government-sponsored insurance and VAT intervention by the end of March.
“The Prime Minister has set out a road map and a ‘no earlier than’ date for festivals, and audiences have responded, demonstrating a huge appetite to be back in the fields this summer.
“But we need government interventions on insurance and VAT before the end of this month when festivals will need to decide whether they can commit to serious amounts of upfront capital.
“Now that we have a ‘no earlier than’ date, insurance is the last remaining barrier to planning.”
In January, Glastonbury confirmed that it would not be back until 2022, though many other festivals say it hopes to host events later in the year.