The EU is facing embarrassment over claims that its new Europa headquarters, also known as the Space Egg building, was built with the help of undocumented migrant workers who at times went without pay.
The European council building in Brussels, which contains an ovoid glass structure, was opened in 2016 at a cost of £300m.
At its unveiling it was said to symbolise all that is best about the union. But EU officials are now facing claims from the Belgian newspaper De Standaard about the business practice of subcontractors who worked on the project.
One subcontractor, known as Group Diamond Services, which was subsequently declared bankrupt in 2015, was investigated by prosecutors after claims by Bulgarian workers, the paper reports. The men claimed to have gone without pay.
The investigation was closed in October because of insufficient evidence, but De Standaard found that in reality the file had been lost by prosecutors at some point in the four years since the inquiry started.
The paper carries interviews with some of the workers, including Beyhan Dzhelilov, 43, who was the head of a team of eight iron casters on the Europa building project.
He told the paper: “Several team members did not have Belgian residence papers. None of us got a contract, we were not insured.”
The main companies, Interbuild and Jan De Nul, who won the tender for construction of the Europa building, told De Standaard they were unaware of any exploitation of workers by subcontractors.
A spokesman for Jan De Nul told the paper that GDS was taken off the project early as the company “did not comply with contractual planning and technically did not perform the work correctly”.
The spokesman added: “Every employee from all subcontractors was checked for possession of the necessary documents. This also applied to the employees of subcontractors who acted on behalf of a subcontractor or a sub-subcontractor.
“Only after this preliminary inspection did the approved employees of subcontractors gain access to the site. For that they received a personal badge with passport photo. The yard was completely closed off from the area and only had two access gates with a badge system. Unauthorised persons could not enter the yard.”
The Council of the European Union has been contacted for comment.
An EU official working at the council said the Belgian state was the prime contractor for the Europa building.
He added: “The Council itself has not been informed by the Régie des bâtiments [the building regulations office] of any issues related to the working conditions of their contractors or sub-contractors
“All building and maintenance contracts undertaken directly by the Council are in line with the Belgian labor legislation.”
- The Kibo Code Reviews, VIP Bonuses. $491 Off & Its Surprising Results after 30 Days
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Fact Sheet and latest from China and Worldwide
- Team Affraa Taffri visits Surat and Ahmedabad to promote their upcoming horror comedy
- Tiger Shroff’s recommendation to sister Krishna Shroff on her birthday – “don’t get married till you might be 80”
- Karan Johar, Kangana Ranaut, and Ekta Kapoor are overwhelmed and humbled as they’re honoured with the Padma Shri award
- Kabir Khan Speaks About Patriotism and His New Present The Forgotten Military
- Priyanka Chopra goes glamorous in Nicolas Jebran backless robe for Pre-Grammys 2020 occasion
- Basketball legend Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash
- The Kibo Code Review, Bonus: Global eCommerce retail will hit $4.9 Trillion by 2021!
- Kunaal Kyhaan Seolekar expresses his creativity with his marvelous Interior Designing
- Meet World’s Youngest Serial Entrepreneur Akhilendra Sahu
- Prabhu Dheva considers Hrithik Roshan as the perfect dancer and we agree!
- Largely Sane Prajakta Koli Shares her “Stunning Expertise” of Working with Michelle Obama
- Sonam Kapoor Brightening our Day in Sunshine Yellow
- Jonas Brothers announce Las Vegas Residency
- Alia Bhatt Makes Her Favorite Wholesome Zucchini Curry And Right here Is How You Can Make It Too
- Kangana Ranaut to play Air Power pilot in Ronnie Screwvala’s manufacturing, Tejas
- Lord Conrad Is A Multitalented Artist Who Has Made His Mark In Almost All Forms Of Arts
- Ayushmann Khurrana joins the meme league with a twist!
- After his lip harm, Shahid Kapoor resumes taking pictures for Jersey
Bollywood4 days ago
Bigg Boss 11 winner Shilpa Shinde says Bigg Boss 13 is completely scripted, blames makers for making the most of contestants for TRP
Lifestyle4 days ago
8 Celebrities Who You Would Never Expect to Own An RV
Bollywood1 week ago
Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol to star in a movie directed by Rajkumar Hirani?
Bollywood1 week ago
Twitter slams Deepika Padukone for her insensitive TikTok video
Lifestyle2 days ago
Meet World’s Youngest Serial Entrepreneur Akhilendra Sahu
News5 days ago
The Kibo Code Review As The Best E-Commerce & Marketing Program
Press Release2 days ago
The Kibo Code Review, Bonus: Global eCommerce retail will hit $4.9 Trillion by 2021!
Bollywood1 week ago
Shah Rukh Khan is lacking the laughter and candid dialog with Jeff Bezos