Mike Tyson Jokingly Says He “Would Probably Be Homeless” If He Didn’t Have This Incident

It has been twenty-five years since Mike Tyson bit Evander Holyfield’s ear, inside a filled MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas. Although the infamous incident cost Mike Tyson the fight and almost overshadowed his long-built boxing career, it is still regarded as one of those rare moments that live on decades after the dust from our bones has fled.

Such is the magnitude the event carries. In one of the latest episodes of HotBoxin’ with Mike Tyson, ‘The Baddest Man on Earth’ shared the podium with hip-hop artist and rapper ‘The Game.’

The two shared stories, discussed personal lives, and above all, laughed about a few incidents that happened in the past. During their conversation, at one point, Tyson offered ‘The Game’ a packet full of ‘Mike Bites Gummies’. After this, Tyson unclothed a shocking statement.

While the two chewed on some ‘Mike Bites Gummies,‘ inspired by the infamous incident witnessed in the 1997 Mike Tyson vs. Evander Holyfield bout, ‘The Game’ jokingly poked a sensitive comment. He said, “See, what I’m saying, you know, it’s crazy."

"You would have never beaten the ear, you never had these gummies.” To this, in a startling statement, Mike Tyson added, “Never beaten the ear, would probably be homeless.” Mike Tyson came into the bout with a professional record of 45 wins, 2 losses, and 0 draws. 

Interestingly, one of the two losses on his resume was a gift from Evander Holyfield, whom ‘Iron’ met a year back in 1996 inside the same MGM Grand Arena. In this rematch, as opposed to Tyson, Holyfield entered with a record of 33 wins, 3 losses, and 0 draws.

Although Holyfield entered experiencing a lesser number of fights compared with Tyson, he vividly outboxed ‘The Baddest Man on Earth.’ At the start of the fight, Holyfield landed some good jabs on Tyson. With a little over one minute left in the first round, Holyfield hit Tyson with a right hand and followed his attack up with a couple of hooks to Tyson’s body and head.

Holyfield kept landing his power shots and Tyson somehow survived. With forty seconds left in the 3rd round, Tyson bit Holyfield’s ear and left the latter jumping in unbearable pain. As Holyfield turned his back after the referee called for time, Tyson pushed Holyfield against the ropes. Blood started dripping from Holyfield’s right ear, but the champ returned to the center of the ring. However, with twenty seconds left in the round, Tyson bit him again.