Nothing matches the chills, thrills, and excitement of the horror genre. Horror films simply give a secure environment for us to mentally practise how we would deal with age-old hazards. Surprisingly, the more negative emotions a person claims to feel while watching a horror film, the more likely they are to declare they appreciate the genre. 2022 is well underway and this new year with itself has brought a bevy of interesting and terrifying horror flicks that have got our blood running cold. True horror fans know that we want a movie to have more than just cheap thrills and cliché jump scares. We want creative stories. We want well-written, dynamic characters. And we want good acting and excellent direction that makes horror movies an absorbing experience.
True horror fans also know how hard it can be to find some decent horror movies to watch and if you are also one of those fans, you have arrived at the right destination as below we are going to list some of the most popular and trending horror movies currently.
BEST HORROR MOVIES TO WATCH IN MAY 2022
1) X: Directed and written by Ti West this horror/thriller film has a 6.7 IMDb rating, an impressive 95% ROTTEN TOMATOES score with 194 reviews, and an equally impressive 78 Metascore. According to audience reviews on RT, “X isn’t every horror fan’s idea of a good time, but it’s often unique and never boring”. The film is about a group of actors who set out to make an adult film in rural Texas under the noses of their reclusive hosts. Soon enough the elderly couple catches their young guests in the act, the cast finds themselves in a desperate fight for their lives.
2) The Black Phone: Directed by Scott Derrickson and starring Ethan Hawke in the leading role, The Black Phone is one of the most anticipated horror films of the year. The film has a 7.4 rating on IMDb, a 79 metascore, and a perfect 100% score on rotten tomatoes. The film is about Finney Shaw, a shy but clever 13-year-old boy, who is abducted by a sadistic killer and trapped in a soundproof basement where screaming is of little use. When a disconnected phone on the wall begins to ring, Finney discovers that he can hear the voices of the killer’s previous victims. And they are dead set on making sure that what happened to them doesn’t happen to Finney.
3) Scream: Scream needs no introduction as every horror aficionado has watched this movie series at least once in their life. The latest installment in the iconic movie series did not disappoint. It has a 6.4 rating on IMDb and a metascore of 60. It is certified fresh on rotten tomatoes with a Tomatometer score of 76% and an audience score of 81%.
4) The Sadness: The movie is originated from Taiwan, so the language used in it is not English, but Mandarin. It may be a little hard for you to follow if you don’t like or are not used to subtitles, but if you do decide to watch it you’ll be pleasantly surprised. The movie has an impressive score of 95% on RT and 70% on Metacritic. The movie chronicles a viral pandemic in Taiwan that transforms peaceful citizens into sadistic, bloodthirsty maniacs and follows a young couple who must battle to be reunited before they too become infected.
5) Firestarter: Recently released, this movie blends several genres like sci-fi, horror, mystery, and drama. The movie is apparently a remake of the 1984 film of the same name, which was an adaptation of a novel by Stephen King. The film revolves around a young girl trying to understand how she mysteriously gained the power to set things on fire with her mind.