Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr has reportedly been postponed until November 28.
The eight-round exhibition bout was originally announced for September 12 at the Dignity Health Sports Park in California. However, it seems there has now been a change of plan.
The Reason Behind The Delay
According to Ring Magazine, Tyson vs Jones Jr will now take place on November 28, which is Thanksgiving weekend in America when millions of fans will be at home with their families.
It’s claimed this is because Tyson’s team felt they could further maximize revenue by rescheduling the event.
A meeting is said to have been held between both camps, with Jones’ team agreeing to the move.
It’s understood the fight will still be at the same venue, likely still with no fans in attendance.
Andy Foster, executive director of the California State Athletic Commission, who are sanctioning the fight, previously told BoxingScene that there will be no judges scoring the fight and so no winner, unless there’s a knockout. However, this is absolutely not the plan.
Foster said: “We can’t mislead the public as to this is some kind of real fight.
“They can get into it a little bit, but I don’t want people to get hurt. They know the deal.
An Exhibition Fight
“It’s an exhibition. They can exhibit their boxing skills, but I don’t want them using their best efforts to hurt each other.
“They’re going to spar hard, but they shouldn’t be going for a knockout. This isn’t a record-book type of fight.
“This is not world championship boxing right now. It’s not what this is. People shouldn’t be getting knocked out.
“The public can see what kind of shape Roy and Mike are still in.”
As part of the build-up, ‘Iron Mike’ is participating in a series of shows on social media app Triller, who will be broadcasting the $49.99 pay-per-view.
Tyson explained in the latest episode: “My ego’s f***ing with me and I’m saying, ‘N****, you think you fly? You ain’t s***. An amateur can get in here and kick your ass, you better get on top of your game. You want to get embarrassed in front of these f***ing people?’
“Then the other ego says, ‘F*** you n****, watch what I’m gonna do.’”
Tyson concluded by laughing, pointing to his head and saying: “You don’t know what goes on up here.”
What is Iron Mike Up To?
In addition, ‘Iron Mike’ has also been pitting his wits against a Great White Shark in a duel that was dubbed ‘Rumble on the Reef’.
Tyson agreed to take part in filming for Discovery Channel’s ‘Shark Week, which has since aired and on the experience said: “I was scared all the way through and was just trying to get through it alive.
“I’m a scary guy but not when it comes to adventurous stuff.”
Many have raised concerns about the fight between 54-year-old ‘Iron Mike’ and 51-year-old Jones Jr.
But Tyson said: “My mentality is just what it’s always been.
“How do I say this? I’m an annihilator… Man for man I don’t think nobody can match me…
“I’m the greatest fighter since the conception of God, how could I not take this opportunity up?”